[TR] TR4 Axle/differential

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4 Axle/differential
From: "TAB" <boggiano@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 20:52:25 -0400
I have been driving my tr4 (solid axle) as my primary driver for the past 3
weeks or so, Today on the way home from work I started hearing a high pitched
whine from the rear end and when the car decellerated a grinding (almost like
something dragging under the car) good thing it was close to home and the
garage because it really did not want to drive. When I got it home the rear
end was smoking (hot), After letting it cool off I raised it up and checked
the following

There is gear fluid in the differnetial.
As I rotate the right side wheel the drive train turns the left wheel does not
either direction
The left wheel turns the right turns also as does the drive train however it
feels like the wheel is binding up. Does the same thing with the brake drum
removed and there is a lot of play now in the wheel before the drivetrain
moves. When I pulled the drum there is all sorts of oil like substance in the
brake area, Almost grease like on the shoes.

So here I sit trying to contemplate if I have lost the differential/axle and
if so where do I find another one? What should I be looking at next?

Any Ideas welcome

Thanks
Tom

===     http://www.vtr.org