[TR] Trannies Old and New

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Trannies Old and New
From: Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 20:57:51 -0400
List,
At school they asked for a volunteer to tear down a Ford T50D 5 speed
tranny.  Not overburdened at that time, I of course volunteered.  The
ford T50D was out of a drag Mustang and it was an 89 tranny.
I had taken my spare TR3 tranny apart when I had the tranny
course.   (where was the info just posted about TR tranny rebuild
when I needed it!)

Anyway, when I popped the  top of the tranny and peered inside, I
almost thought I was inside the TR.  Basically the same arraignment,
reverse idler on the left, counter shaft below, main shaft on top
with the input shaft separate.

also, guess what,,,,the 3rd gear circlip was on the main shaft at the
rear!  Not hard to take off though.

Several gears gone, input shaft gone, main shaft home, counter shaft
gone(counter shaft 1 piece machined), some gears worn bad, sychro;'s
gone, a real basket case. Ford does not make the major shafts anymore
and my recommendation was to buy a new/rebuilt one. Which thankfully
he did.  So our 40-50's tranny design at least lived until the late
90's and maybe even longer!

Doug

===     http://www.vtr.org