[TR] TR6 rear suspension 'grunch' - Help!

To: "Triumphs Digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR6 rear suspension 'grunch' - Help!
From: "Lanoway, Brian" <Brian_Lanoway@standardaero.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:03:28 -0500
I've replaced almost everything in the rear suspension of my 1973 TR6
(trailing arm bushings, springs and caps, half-shafts, U-joints, rear hubs,
lever arm shocks, shock links and bushings) and I still have a strange,
frustrating "grunch" sound coming from my rear suspension when the car is
stationary and I push the rear of the car up and down.

The sound doesn't occur all the time, only when the car is parked in gear
(emergency brake off) and on the slope of my driveway (with the front of the
car at the higher end of the slope).  You can actually feel the shuddering
"grunch" with your hand on the center of the wheel as you push the rear of the
car up and down.  If you park the car on the horizontal and out of gear - and
do the same thing, the sound/shudder disappears.

I'm not exactly sure - maybe it's my imagination, but I wonder if I'm getting
the same binding when I drive the car under certain conditions.  I think (or
imagine) I can feel it when the car pitches fore and aft when travelling on an
undulating road.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the "grunch" is not suspension
related, but that it's coming from the gear set in my differential - that
perhaps the gears don't have the right preset.  I don't know what else it can
be, everything else is absolutely brand new.

Has anyone else encountered this in their TR?  Is this normal - do all TR6's
shudder and make this sound when parked in gear on a slope?  (It would be neat
if some of the TR6 owners on the List did an experiment to see if their cars
did the same thing).   Or....do I have an issue with my differential that I
need to go after and fix?

Thanks so much in advance for all your help,

Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6
Winnipeg

===     http://www.vtr.org