RE: [TR] Wiring Facet Pump & Oil Pressure Switch

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Wiring Facet Pump & Oil Pressure Switch
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:14:13 -0700
> However, there is a sneak circuit in that the pump and
> valve will be
> wired in series once the switch switches.  The pump and valve
> will pass current
> to the rest of the switched loads.

Good point (which I missed before), although since it's only a relay coil
for the pump, there won't be much current passed.

However, a simple diode in series with the pump relay will solve the
problem.

>  They will divide up the 12
> volts and they
> may continue to operate but even if they don't they will pass current and
> drain your battery in short order (overnight).

The relay coil won't pass more than perhaps 100ma, which will take a lot
longer than overnight to drain a car battery.

> Worse yet, the voltage across the pump will be reversed.

The relay doesn't care.  And because of the relay, the voltage on the pump
won't be reversed.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org