Re: [TR] TR4 Axle/differential end float

To: "TAB" <boggiano@charter.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Axle/differential end float
From: tr3driver@comcast.net (Randall)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:11:09 +0000
From: "TAB" <boggiano@charter.net>
> I am in the final throws of replacing the damaged differential in my TR4. I
> have been going throught the manuals and I just dont get it.
> Can someone explain to me how to measure and set the axle end float on a
> solid axle tr4? What am i missing?

The point the manuals may be unclear on, is that you must install both axles to
measure the float.  Then ideally remove both of them to adjust the shim packs,
so the packs stay roughly equal.

A dial indicator should make things easier ... Enco usually has them on sale
for under $25.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org