[TR] Solution to "A perplexing problem"

To: <scottpaisley@smartneighborhood.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Solution to "A perplexing problem"
From: "scottpaisley" <scottpaisley@smartneighborhood.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 10:34:57 -0700
> Car is a 1974 TR6 with dual strombergs
>The car idles and runs (drives) well under very light throttle. But
give
>it some gas, and it just simply misses and bogs down. That's the best
>way I can describe it. Not quite a backfire, but there's no power
>whatsoever. I get off the gas, and it recovers and runs fine again.
>here's what has recently been done...

So, it turns out that many of you were correct, it was simple and it was
electrical. It was not the distributor, and it was not the wires, it was
not the electronic ignition or points, it was not timing. Spark plugs.
Simple and effective fix. I didn't suspect the plugs at all because the
engine was recently rebuilt (before I bought it) and I assumed, that
they would be fine. Bad and wrong assumption. New plugs with the correct
gap fixed the problem. Now, the old plugs were gapped at .035 and I
gapped the new ones at .025.

Thanks everyone for pointers and help. Now on to other things. Like
driving. :-)

-Scotty
'74 TR6
Ashburn, VA