Fw: [TR] Adjustable wheel split Column

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: [TR] Adjustable wheel split Column
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:30:19 -0400
Thanks, Bob!  I'll let you know how it turns out.  (My felt came in today,
free courtesy of the TRF, after I mentioned I was going to fabricate the felt
bushing.  Thank you Dave at TRF!)

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A (Am getting so close to finishing, I'm getting a bit
nervous.  Driving instead of restoring:  the change of life.)
New Hampshire
  I'm assembling a split adjustable column as we speak, Terry.

  The fact is I've never seen a column that isn't split and I have pulled DRY
original felt out of steering columns.

  When I look at the Stanpart spare parts manual, I see the felt bushing at
the top of the tube, separating it from the column; a nylon or rubber
adaptor(no longer available) which accepts the small end of the shroud and
covers the top of the tube; the shroud itself and a metal cup that accepts the
large end of the shroud. This abutts the chuck that locks the steering wheel.

  I just adjusted the upper tube over the column for appropiate adjustment for
the wheel.

  If this is the wrong way to assemble this, I'd like to know.

  Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org