RE: [TR] Wiring harness laughs

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Wiring harness laughs
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:45:06 -0700
> Wiper motor runs with switch in the off
> position

That sounds like either the park switch is messed up, or the wire to it is
shorted to ground.  On the original motors, the wire to the park switch
frequently grounds where it passes through the case.

> and blows a fuse with the switch on, go Alex.

That sounds like the wires are wrong at the motor, or you've wired the switch
according to a TR2 schematic.

> The front flashers,
> horns, and head lights are not mounted yet. But I have power to the wires.
> When I hook up the lights, they do not work.

All of the front lights should have their own ground lead.  If you connect it to
ground, the lights should work.

> When I ground the holders to a
> ground they do work,

I assume this is only for the front park/turn lights.  They do have a path to
ground through the housing, but the factory ran a ground wire to them "just in
case".

> However, one flasher flashes without the steering flasher switch wired
> in

Need to do some detective work on that one.  Only the turn signal switch and the
indicator on the dash should be wired directly to the flasher.

> and the other lights like a light.

Should be easy to find that one.  Assuming of course you didn't have the
headlights on and are looking at the parking filament.

> The headlights pose another issue. I
> have upgraded to halogens, so I installed a relay as prescribed by a reliable
> TR3 technical site. Need to work on this one.

> I have 4 red wires coming from
> my steering stator tube. Oh joy!

Start with the turn signal switch off, you should have no continuity between any
of the wires, or between any wire and ground.  If you do, there is a short in
the column or control head that must be fixed first.

Now set the switch to the right turn position.  Exactly two wires should show
continuity (still no continuity to ground) ... tag them somehow.

Now set the switch to the left turn position.  Exactly two wires should show
continuity (still no ground).  One of those wires will be the same as identified
before, that is the "green" wire (as marked on the original schematics), which
goes to the green/black wire in the harness (which goes to the flasher).  The
other wire is the green/red, which goes to the green/red in the harness (which
goes to front and rear LH turn signals).  The wire with continuity only in the
right turn position is green/white, which goes to the green/white in the harness
(which goes to front/rear RH turn signals).

The leftover wire is the brown/black for the horns.  It should show continuity
to ground only when the horn button is depressed.

HTH
Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org