RE: [TR] Fuel spilling out on cornering

To: "'Adrian Jones'" <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Fuel spilling out on cornering
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 17:38:24 -0700
> I checked out the fuel tank and overflow - everything seemed
> in order and I don't fill the fuel tank to the top.  I just
> stick the nozzle all the way in and stop pumping when it cuts
> off.  Also I must have burnt at least a gallon before this incident.
>
> Any thoughts?  Its a new tank (well, 3 year old tank I got
> from Moss Motors when the old one started leaking)

IMO the problem is intrinsic to the design.  There are no baffles in the
tank, and the vent is located at the RH edge.  It doesn't take much of a
corner at all to force fuel out the vent.

Worse yet, there doesn't seem to be any need for the vent.  Every TR2-3B
filler I've checked has had a vent hole built into the cap.  If not, it
would be easy to add, just drill a small hole through the inner cap (not
through the chrome outer piece).

So, I addressed the problem by sealing off the tank vent a long time ago.
I've never noticed any problems since then.

To give some idea of how long ago that was, I first realized there was a
serious problem when an overzealous gas station attendant tried to fill the
tank level full.  He didn't realize he was standing in a spreading pool of
gasoline until I yelled at him !

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org