Re: [TR] Bedding-in - rings vs. lifters

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Bedding-in - rings vs. lifters
From: David Brady <dmb993@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:08:31 -0400
Us TR people are caught between a rock and a hard place.
Having been thru an entire engine rebuild due to cam lobe
disintegration, I decide to opt for lifter/lobe bedding over
piston ring seating. I ran the car for 20 minutes at a steady
2000 rpm, and then I put her on the dyno and did my break
in of the rings. Do the best you can. The rings will probably
not seat 100%, but I'm happy with 80%, and the possibility
of 100% over time IF the cam/lifters hold up their end of the
bargain. The motor will run fine at 80% ring seat; the motor
will not run fine if it's missing a cam lobe. Roller lifters on a
modern engine are a whole different ball of wax.

David Brady
'68 TR250
CD8124L

===     http://www.vtr.org