Re: [TR] TR3 Jack procedure

To: eoot@citlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Jack procedure
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:25:20 EST
In a message dated 1/1/2007 7:38:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
eoot@citlink.net writes:

First,  Happy New Year to all!

I have a rookie question this morning. I want to  get the '3 up on jack stands
and need to know the best method of  accomplishing this. Jack the front then
rear, or from the sides? Use more  than 1 jack? Would like to know the
procedure that is least likely to  damage me or the car.

Thanks
Ed

Ed,
One thing I have found useful for my Bristish cars is this: I made up a set
of 2x 12's x 18 inches long from scrap lumber. (In fact, I may have gotten the
 scraps free at the lumber yard).  I  put a 45 degree bevel on each end  with
my power saw.
Now, when I jack up a car, I first place one of these ahead of each wheel
and drive the car up on them. They are low enough that unlike jack stands, it
doesn't matter if you drive too far-just back up!
My experience is that this is just enough additional height to allow an
ordinary Wal-Mart $70 floor jack  to get under anything. I jack the TR from
the
diff in the rear and the front cross members in front. I place jackstands
under each side rear frame and under the front cross member in front.

Best, and Happy New Year
Mike Moore

===     http://www.vtr.org