[TR] On the side of the road

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] On the side of the road
From: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:10:07 -0800
Decided to drive in today.  It's usually nice just ahead of a rain
storm.
Started smelling something automotive, but couldn't quite figure it out
until my temperature gauge told me I had a problem - the smell of
antifreeze!
Pulled over.  Lots of steam.  Split a water hose.  Those familiar with
TR6 know the hose - at the back of the intake manifold, makes an obscene
twist down to a connector.
Well, I carry spares, but not that hose.  I carry a length of 1/2 inch
wire reinforced heater hose - won't kink when bent.
Replace the hose - but I don't have any water.  Yes I checked the
windshield washer bottle - empty as usual.
Now, I am stopped along the Gaviota coast of Central California.  There
is nothing for 10 miles in either direction.  My fellow workers are
stopping to help, but no one has had water.  I figured I could nurse it
in - yea right.
Get about a half mile.  I figured the possibility of seizing the engine
wasn't worth it.  I could call AAA and get them to bring out some water.
As I am staring at my steaming overflow bottle, I look around towards
the ocean for calming and what do I see?  A large puddle of water
trapped by the railroad tracks from the last rain.
Perfect! Used my windshield washer bottle to fill my radiator and I was
off!
Must have been a good day on the Karma wheel....

Peter Arakelian - 1971 TR6 daily driver
Purchasing Agent
Moss Motors, Ltd.
(805) 679-7214