Re: [TR] Transmission ID, Please?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Transmission ID, Please?
From: Hoyt <hoyt@cavtel.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 06:12:25 -0500
On Tuesday 09 January 2007 22:32, ZoboHerald@aol.com wrote:
> There are two numbers:
>
> WYF  E336
> 304642SW
>
> What is it from? I can send a picture if anybody  thinks that may help them
> identify it.
>

> ==AM==
> Sorry to be annoying; I'm really trying to help. Is there any number
>  STAMPED on anywhere, preferably beginning with a two-letter prefix?
> Presumably  we can rule out the presence of such a number with a TS or CT
> or similar TR-specific prefix, but I'm thinking along the lines of MB or
> something  similar.

Those are the only number I can find. Other makes? A Morgan perhaps? I
purchased it as a spare tranny along with a '61 TR3 and factory hardtop; all
for parts.

> And what's the diameter of the input shaft? Is it smaller than a typical TR
>   gearbox? What I'm thinking is that it might be a Triumph 2000 gearbox,
> similar in outward appearance to those of the "big" TRs but -- at least on
> the early ones -- a Vitesse input shaft (smaller than that of the "big" TRs
> but larger than that of a Herald/Spitfire).

It's in a warehouse and I won't be able to get to it until the weekend, but
I'll measure it and the TR3 tranny I have there as well. I do recall a
difference in the length.

===     http://www.vtr.org