[TR] TR3 sill caps: when is enough welding, enough?

To: list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3 sill caps: when is enough welding, enough?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:55:00 -0500
List,
I am welding 'caps' on the end of my TR3 inner sills.  I am a new welder- how
does on tell if they have welded it sufficintly water-tight?  One sill is on
the car and other isin't.  The installed sill is going to be the most
difficult.  I had even thought that instead of welding that I could try some
sort of rubber 'cork stopper' to keep the water out.  I abandoned that idea.
Another listee thought they needed to be welded to the rear wheel well metal-
not necessary for my car!
        Since this end of the inner sill already has flanges, the cover plate
for the
already done but uninstalled sill is simply  a flat piece of 16 ga. metal.
Unfortunatly, my only access for the end of the installed sill is from
removing the rear tire in order to work in the wheel well.  The wheel well is
corroded in this area and has been cut back for access.

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3

===     http://www.vtr.org