Re: [TR] TR6 driveshaft removal?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 driveshaft removal?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 07:54:13 EDT
In a message dated 5/2/2007 8:15:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
jerryvv@adelphia.net writes:
> I've done it on my IRS4A so it can be done but as you say it's really a
> tight fit. I seem to recall that it came out the back however and yes the
> exhaust must be removed. I also seem to recall having to persuade it some.
> I'll just confirm it's not easy but doable.
> JVV

There is a big difference between the 4A and the 74 TR6.  There is a big
difference between the 71 TR6 and the 74 TR6.  Starting in 1973 Triumph fitted
the
J-type overdrive in lieu of the A-type and modified the rear engine mount.
I've pulled the drive shaft from my 71 (with the J-type and an improvised
transmission mount) with ease.  Since I replaced the frame with a 73 model I am
stymied on how to do it (although others have done it using extraordinary
measures).

The late TR6 is a unique animal in this respect.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org