Re: [TR] signals don't work

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] signals don't work
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:38:22 -0800
> 1. The wiring from the rear signals (those are the ones closest to the
> center right?) runs into the trunk and along the RH (US
> passenger) side of
> the trunk, past the fuel tank, along the floor next to the
> passenger seat
> and then up the passenger firewall next to the speaker and apparently
> through a whole in the firewall by the fuse box.  Randall
> said they should
> be on the LH side, am I missing something?

Sorry I wasn't more clear; the wires do run on the RH side of the car from
under the dash back to the rear.  But the harness splits near the RH side of
the battery box (inside the car).  There is a large bundle of wires that
goes through the firewall at that point, to the fuse block, voltage
regulator, starter solenoid, etc.  But the turn signal wires from the rear
(green/white and green/red) run in a bundle across the car still behind the
firewall, and go through a grommet near the steering column on the LH side.

Not a very good photo, but if you look here:
http://tinyurl.com/yf5k94s hopefully you can see three bundles of wires
running above the steering column.  The lowest, new-looking bundle is not
original, but the other two are original, and the top one has the turn
signal wires inside.  If you zoom in on the photo, perhaps you can see the
edge of the grommet, peeking out from behind the brake pedal, where the
bundle of wires goes through the firewall.  Then in this photo
http://tinyurl.com/yap6chb you can see where the bundle runs along the LH
inner fender to the connectors by the horn.

Unfortunately, my original wires have faded until the colors are no longer
visible (the colored wires in the photo are ones I've added), but hopefully
yours will be in better shape.

However, there is another pair of green/white and green/red wires!  They run
from that bundle of connectors near the RH horn back through the harness
inside the car, and out on the LH side, to connectors near the LH horn.

> 3. If I run a wire from the front signal to the rear to power
> both the front
> and rear signals, the front signal stops blinking quickly and
> they both
> start blinking roughly every 10 seconds.

So it's not a 'hard' short to ground (otherwise they wouldn't work at all).
This suggests to me that there is a wiring error, rather than just a short
to ground.  My approach would still be what I outlined before, isolate the
wires and test for where the mystery load/short is.

But I guess you could pull the rear turn lampholders out of their boots, and
do a visual for shorts, corrosion, etc. inside the boot.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net