[TR] Removing Head Studs

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Removing Head Studs
From: "Roger Wilson" <rjwilson1250@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:36:29 -0800
I am in the process of replacing my cylinder head studs with ARP studs. A
stud sheared off and blew the head gasket, so I think it's time to replace
them all. I got the broken stud piece out of the block with left-handed
cobalt bits, no easyouts needed. It worked great.

I have been able to remove 9 out of 10 studs. Several of them came out using
an 8" pipe wrench, hammering and a few days of repeated soaking with PB
Blaster. Some more came out with by heating the base of the stud with a
propane torch, cooling down and then going at it with the pipe wrench and PB
Blaster.

I still have one stubborn stud left.  It is one of the long ones on the
manifold side. I was thinking of welding on a nut to the end of the stud and
using a breaker bar, but I really don't want to shear it off in the block. I
am wondering if I should just leave this stud in and replace the rest.

Does anyone have any advice on getting this last one out?

Roger Wilson
'60 TR3

database 4712 (20091223) __________

http://www.eset.com