Re: [TR] Removing Head Studs-success!

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Removing Head Studs-success!
From: "Roger Wilson" <rjwilson1250@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 11:41:14 -0800
Thanks to everyone for all the great advice on removing that final head
stud. I think that the best advice is patience and persistence. Here is what
worked and what didn't:

1. I bought a stud remover at Sears. It has a notched cam that grabbed the
stud up to a point, but then slipped. Maybe there is a remover out there
better than the Craftsman version that grips better, but I couldn't get this
to work for me.
2. Double nut method- I have used this before on smaller studs, but it just
didn't work here. The nuts would just slowly slip up to stud and work their
way off.
3. Welded nut method- This finally did it. With a socket and breaker bar it
finally came out. When it first moved it made such a loud noise I thought I
broke the socket or sheared the stud. But it all came out in one piece.
Hurray!

I guess 5 days of PB Blaster and pounding finally paid off. The other studs
came out relatively easy with some heating at the base of the stud, an 8"
pipe wrench and a hammer.

I didn't try the melted candle wax that a few people recommended. I was
concerned that it would clog things up and not allow the penetrating oil to
get into the threads of the stud. I also didn't try heating up the block at
the stud and icing it down, but that was going to be my next step if the
welded nut didn't work.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and great suggestions. I hope
everyone has a wonderful holiday season and a better new year in 2010 for us
all.

Roger Wilson
'60 TR3A

database 4716 (20091225) __________