Re: [TR] TR4A overheating

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Dave Connitt <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A overheating
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 2:10:08 +0000
> I start the engine and it warms up quickly and within 2-3 minutes the
> temperature gauge is on "H". The top of the radiator is hot. the down tube is
> cool so the thermostatic switch won't close.

How hot?  Is there any chance your temp gauge is reading way high and the
engine isn't really overheated?  It can be hard to tell the difference between
170F and 200F just by resting your hand on it.  But at 170F you would expect
the thermostat to stay closed and block flow through the radiator.  The upper
tank still gets hot from conduction, though.

If the top is definitely getting over 180F and the bottom is still cool without
the fan running, then you clearly have a circulation problem.  Could be a
clogged radiator; but they rarely clog up all at once so I would be
double-checking other things.

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive