Re: Mid-Ohio / Alfa Convention

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mid-Ohio / Alfa Convention
From: jimf42@mcs.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 95 20:55 CDT
<---- Begin Included Message ---->
From: jimf42@mcs.com
To: jeh@world.std.com (jim hayes)

Several people I know who go to the SVRA race have given up. They complained
about the cost of bringing a motorhome (which everybody else lets you park
free in the paddock), crew passes, and one friend brings his dog, which they
wouldn't allow on the track. He also complained about the surliness of track
security personnel. Even the racers complained about the fact that there
were too many participants and often too agressive racing.

>I am not a great defender of SVRA(I race in SVRA, VSCDA, HSR and MBHR) but
there are >two free crew passes which come with >each entry...and usually
folks who have extras >have no problem giving you theirs.  >Road America also
charges to bring in >Motorhomes, not just Mid-Ohio (these are track >policies,
not SVRA)  I find SVRA to >be just as good as any other group...although the
MBHR is probably the friendliest >best value event.

I have a big problem with SVRA anyway (and it may be a bigger problem for
all of vintage racing, since I hear HSR is even worse). They are too much
like the SCCA "Senior Tour". Winning is a big issue and people spend tons of
$$$ to build faster cars. Know Harry Gaunt? Ever see a 90% carbon fiber
Porsche 356?

>I am intimately familiar with the 356s. They are all steel, not even a
fiberglass >hood or decklid.  They are all in 356C trim with period brakes and
they run the >period Solex carbs.  They are not allowed to use Webers.  They
do use special ratio >gears. They do not have coil over shocks, but must run
the original set up.  My mini >is faster than a number of the 356s.  But the
top 4 or 5 drivers are very good and >they do have full race motors of around
150hp.  I have a good friend who has raced one for the past 6 years and I have
become quite familiar with the details of preparation.  My friend is not one
of the fastest cars, but the cars are quite equal in preparation.

>Harry's Morgan is fast and well driven.  But a Morgan chassis, even well
developed >does not handle like a 356.  He does  have  a 2.2 Triumph motor
with about 180 hp. It >will not overcome handling and aerodynamic
disadvantages at the limit. (He does also have 4 wheel discs)

SVRA races have more transporters in the pits than a Trans-Am!
Then they drive them like winning is the only thing. Last fall at Summit
Pt., after the debacle at Lime ROck (not SVRA) and the Glen, Frank Rupp gave
a big talk about behaving on the track. Then two members of the drivers
committee got chastised for doing dumb things (like running into
competitors). I got run off the track twice-once by a fellow Alfa racer and
the second time by another member of the drivers' committee.

>I have found the Group 1 racers to be gentlemen and ladies for the most part.
No >banzai passes, etc.  People do watch their mirrors with few exceptions.
But this IS >racing and sometimes incidents happen.

I believe that any group that promotes "winning" in vintage racing is to be
questioned regarding their sanity. THe safety rules are often lax, the cars
old and suffer from it (I found that out when I wrote off a historic '59
Alfa Sprint at Mosport in '93 due to metal fatigue, exacerbated by sticky
vintage repro Dunlops and a number of my friends have suffered less
spectacular failures), and the drivers often have more testosterone than
ability warrants.

This is still racing. There are vintage tours or exhibition classes for those
who do not want to race.  I have found no problems in the safety rules. All of
the groups with whom I race consider us responsible adults and they expect the
owners to inspect their cars for metal fatigue, loose bolts, old parts, etc.
SVRA probably cracks down on poor driving more than most.  I have known a
number of drivers on probation for one car incidents with minor damage.

                Jim Fuerstenberg
                jimf42@mcs.com

          "British marshals, ever at the forefront in motor racing
          safety, were the first to use cement dust on oil spilt on
          the circuit."(Raymond Baxter at the Goodwood Festival of Speed
(June, 1994)

          "Or need to..." (anonymous spectator)

<---- End Included Message ---->