Re: Racing & Back Injuries...

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Racing & Back Injuries...
From: "Christopher H. Kang, MD" <chkangmd@qnis.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 17:36:04 -0800
MHKitchen@aol.com wrote:

> Hi all!  I'm VERY glad to be back after being off-line and completely out of
> service for a couple of weeks with a bad back.  Turns out I had a herniated
> disk and pinched the siatic (sp?) nerve causing EXTREME pain in my left leg.
>  I was completely incapacitated and unable to walk or even sit.
>
> Fortunately, I am now recovering, and am becoming mobile again, but have a
> question....Have any of you fellow vintage racers suffered from this problem
> (this was my first experience with it), and have you found that driving
> exacerbates or complicates this type of injury?   I'm interested to hear any
> of your experiences or advice.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Myles H. Kitchen
> Lotus Cortina #128
I have no personal experience, but my professional opionion would be tha
as long as there is nothing unstable that has to heal, then racing
should n't be a problem as long as your back muscles are in EXCELLENT
condition, and your seat is FIRMLY padded and molded to you with a
lumbar support pad. An atheletic trainer certified physical therapist
would be my reccomendation on getting a good exercise program. Racing is
a sport after all. Good luck!  chk