the weather at summit point was great!

To: "vintage-race" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: the weather at summit point was great!
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:37:47 -0400
the old orange saab did what it seems to do well wich was get in evryone's
way(it's just not as fast as the rest of the group...*sigh*) and continue to
run without incident through the weekend.  i did consume almost 10 gallons
of oil / fuel mix by the end of sunday's group race.   not too bad for race
fuel economy?
i had a great time tryuing to reel jim sheffield's abarth850 in.  i could
catch up to a degree in the corners but would loose him on the straight.
but my biggest thrill was i actually passed something (a mini!) in my car
that was not blowing up, trailing smoke or coolant, parked or missing a
wheel!  now!  that's a first for the old saab!  i had one very anxious
moment coming down the chute the corner workers did not have time to display
the caution flag for the incident that happened just before i got to the
bottom of the chute!  i was braking so hard down hill preparing for my left
turn at the bottom i did not see the huge cloud of dust!  but i did lift and
turn just in time to avoid ryan's elva wich was right in the line i take
through that corner.  that incident brought out a full course black flag and
we all sweated it out while the crew(they did a great job!) at the track got
evrything under controll and we were allowed back out on course to complete
our race.  vars smith and ryan giffin were unhurt in the incident at the
bottom of the chute.  as usual i missed the group 1 party but i did send two
bottles white zinfandel for my fellow group members to enjoy.   i was
relaxing untill i got caught up in helping both hank and ryan giffin (mostly
ryan...) with some mechanical problems. (jon and i never refuse to help
someone if we can.  we loan tools, parts and chemicals if we have them. we
do try to help evryone who asks at the track.   this puts a serious damper
on our social activities at times.
through the course of the weekend we had some mechanical problems here and
there with other group 1 cars, coolant leaks , grumpy charging systems and a
few early retirements due to terminal failures.  i wish evryone well with
their repairs and preperations for their next outing!
 i did my usual job of pointing evryone by out there.
the group 3 guys just do not know what to make of the darn orange(my car)
rolling chicane out there.  (probably mumbling expletives in their helmets?)
that made the blue gray enduro #1 a bit anxious at times but when i was not
holding on with both hands in the corners drifting through a bit sideways on
3 and some times 4 wheels out there i was giving them the same courtesy that
i share with my group 1 competitors of pointing them by.  another great
weekend for the old (and somewhat silly) saab.  thank you to evryone
involved!   now i get to rebuild a morgan.......(so much for the new paint
job i did on it......)   peter dunn was not hurt but the morgan does not
have a straight wing left on it.  it's 99% all sheet metal damage and i'll
get it back into shape very soon for him.  ( i wished ryan would bring that
elva up here....  :)  )

chuck
orange saab #25 (SVRA#251)