More on Dick Buckingham

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: More on Dick Buckingham
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 16:26:29 EST
To all:

Here is a bit more, and somewhat encouraging...

Myles
From: Glkuntz@aol.com
Full-name: Glkuntz
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:25:35 EST
Subject: Re: FW: Dick Buckingham in accident
To: horsty@msn.com, MHKitchen@aol.com, jk-m@pacbell.net,
  MORTONJUDY@aol.com, FitzpatrickJack@aol.com, TNTT@aol.com,
  BAMCOM@aol.com

To All:

I receivd the following in a roundabout way. I cannot attest to the acuracy
of the information, but it sounds reasonable.

Gary

"Dear VMC Delegates,
My wife and I decided to participate in the New Zealand Southern Festival of
Speed this year, the event which Dick & Judy Buckingham have been doing for
the last eight years. We just completed the second of four events at Levels
Raceway in Timaru.
Unfortunately, I'm sending you this email message with a bit of bad news.
Yesterday, Saturday, Dick had a crash and suffered an apparent significant
concussion. The weather has, for the first time in years, less than
cooperative.
He had a single car spin in wet conditions and laterally slapped a tire wall.
While the car wasn't terribly damaged, he received what appears to be a bad
concussion in the process, Perhaps it was from his head hitting the rollbar or
a tire from the tire wall, we're simply not sure. He was immediately taken to
the Timaru hospital where he was unconscious. They further sedated him (often
done to facilitate healing process in the case of head injuries so they can
bring him around under controlled conditions), took a CT Scan, and determined
that nothing was conspicuously amiss. The CT Scan results were also sent to
Christchurch for diagnostic confirmation and it was decided to not fly him up
there for further treatment, all good signs.
But, he was unconscious all Saturday afternoon, evening and Sunday,
presumably by design at that point.
While we're not sure of how it was medically determined, we were told early
on that they didn't feel there was any spinal or neck injury. That would, of
course, be great news, if accurate. In fact, as this is being written, Sunday
evening, we were told that he is coming around (a bit) and that he seems to
have
movement in all arms and legs, a very good sign.
While very early in the diagnosis/recovery process, we're encouraged by the
news. We will get by the hospital tomorrow morning to see if there if there is
any other significant developments. If so, we will forward the news via this
list as soon as we can. As it turns out, I'd brought along my laptop computer
in order to file email "post cards" of our trip to all of my friends and
family. Consequently I had the VMC email list enabling me to send this email to
each
of you. We thought you'd like to know.
Judy may not be checking their email since I think that was Dick's "thing".
And I'm not exactly sure where she is staying. But, please feel free to email
me with any questions and I'll do my best to get answers. I'm checking this
email account at least once a day and will hopefully be able to forward any
messages to Judy and to provide you with updates on Dick's condition.
Best regards,
Bob Alder"