Re: [Vintage-race] 2 way radios

To: rstarkweather@scottmadden.com, mwinbigler@worldnet.att.net,
Subject: Re: [Vintage-race] 2 way radios
From: "ROGER DAVIS" <alpine87fp@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:28:06 -0600
   Dick,

   We  have  been  using  radio communication in our vintage racing since
   1993.   We  installed  them after I "parked" our racer on the Turn One
   wall  at Steamboat Springs.  Neither I nor the car was injured, but my
   crew,  unable  to  see  that portion of the track, were very disturbed
   when the session was Red Flagged and I didn't come around.

   Since  that  incident,  we installed the radios and use them like Rick
   does,  gauge  readings  and  warnings  to me, the driver, of incidents
   ahead  on  the track.  They are especially helpful on race starts when
   the  start  has  been  waved  off  prior  to  my being able to see the
   Starter.   I'm not that fast and usually start in the back of the grid
   and it's nice to know any information to help me stay out of trouble.

   Yes, we've been accused of cheating and having my spotter tell me when
   to  block  someone,  but  if  they  took  the  time  to  listen to our
   frequency,  they  would hear the exact opposite; my spotter telling me
   when the faster cars were coming and to be sure to look for them in my
   mirrors  so that I could take steps NOT to impede their progress.  And
   in some cases, just get out ot the way.

   I  too  was  involved  with  SCCA  in the 70's and am REALLY glad that
   Vintage  racing  exists  today.   I would not be racing if we only had
   SCCA.

   One other point.  Seems that some think that if we didn't race with it
   the  past  then  we  shouldn't  be  using  it  in  Vintage racing now.
   Hmmmm...   Didn't  used  to have full face helmets, three layer suits,
   HANS,  carbon  brake  pads,  cool suits, etc.  Some say that those are
   safety  things and contribute to the safety of the driver.  I say that
   my  radio  communication is a safety thing and the information that my
   crew  relays  to  me  re  the  oil  spill in Turn Three helps me avoid
   hitting  that  oil  and  perhaps  running off the track or worse, into
   another vintage car.

   So  Dick,   I  say  go  for the radios.  If you find that they are not
   something  that  you want to continue with, lay them down as you would
   any other  tool.    BTW, I've had very good coverage at tracks in your
   area.   The now "retired" Mead, Steamboat Springs, Second Creek, Pikes
   Peak  International  as  well  as  Pueblo,  La Guna Seca, Sears Point,
   Phoenix  International,  Las  Vegas,  and  of  course  the  new Miller
   Motorsports  Park in Salt Lake City.   Just remember, you get what you
   pay for.  Buy cheap radios and you won't be happy.
   Roger Davis