2000-register

Re: Tires and sizes...

To: 2000-register@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tires and sizes...
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:41:47 +0200 (MET DST)
On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, you wrote:

> OK, I have read a lot about tyre sizes the last days here, and I thought it
> would be wise to throw up the different alternatives on tires:

Well, the page http://www.kvaleberg.com/t_tune.html already has the
alternatives calculated for you (for the 2.5 PI):

For a 13" wheel:

        185
        215/70

A 195/70 is really quite too small, although not as "bad" as 185/70, which
IMHO and also in my experience is unsuitable as well as looking utterly
silly. Also, they are so far off the original size that they would be
outright illegal in this country, and fail the MOT. Also, as noted, a 5
inch rim is really too narrow for anything >= 195.

For a 14" wheel:

       185/70
       195/70
       205/65

Again, 195 is really too wide for a 5 inch wide wheel, and the 185/70 is
quite passable as an alternative.

For a 15" wheel, some alternatives are:

        185/65
        195/65
        205/60

To summarize, as the best compromize for original looks, as well as good
roadholding and good price/performance, my vote would definitely be for
185/70-14 on steel Stag wheels. Or original Michelin 185-13 if you really
insist, and can afford it!

Egil
who admits that he has sinned, and is currently running rather modern
Michelin 185/65-15 on 5 1/2 inch rims.

Combined with the quick manual steering rack, I enjoy the improvement in
handling, which I think fits the PI spirit rather well. Definitely more
precise than the original, but still with plenty of slip angles so as to
avoid making exploring the limits a nerve-wrecking experience.

As to appearance, I personally don't think it is too bad, and the 185
width does hopefully keep one out of the boy-racer league. At least, it is
infinitely better than a 13" wheel with a too small outside circumference.
See also http://www.kvaleberg.com/t_miche.html
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway