removing undercoating

To: "'David Macdonald'" <dmacdo7376@friend.ly.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: removing undercoating
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:14:14 -0600
David Macdonald wrote:
>whatis the best way to remove old undercoating .....that
> hardened tar stuff they used back in 1973 to prevent rust around the wheel
> wheels.

There was an extensive thread on this exact topic on the Big TR list not too
long ago. You might want to check the autox.team.net archives.

Various goops, solutions and techniques were explored, including heat,
freezing w/dry ice, open flame, sand/bead blasting, disk sanders, and others
too complex and/or dangerous to mention.

I thought that the best suggestion was not to remove it at all - if it's
still adhering to intact bodywork after all these years, it's probably doing
a pretty good job of repelling water, salt and rust.

Jim Hill
Madison WI