Re: Carb and intake manifold troubles

To: "6pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carb and intake manifold troubles
From: pmachold <pmachold@fcgint.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:26:13 -0500
Hi Tim,

Try Joe Curto in College Point, New York for your carb rebuilds.  His
number is 718-762-7878.  He seems to know a lot about LBC's and
specializes in British carbs.

Good luck,
Peter

>Hi everybody,
>       Uncovered some bad news a little while ago.  I went home for spring
>break
>and started the process of trial fitting my new exhaust header and system
>before sending it to High Performance Coatings for ceramic coating.  Late
>last year I remember having incredibly bad gas mileage and less than great
>performane.  Well, when I pulled the intake and exhaust manifolds off, I
>found out why.  The rear carb must have gone nuts and started dumping an
>incredibly rich mixture into the combustion chambers. The intake runners
>from cylinder 2 thru 6 were coated in crud, as were the valve stems.  The
>damage was worse and worse as I progressed to the later cylinders.  God
>only knows how the plugs were able to fire such a rich mixture.
>       Anyway, I obviously need to have my carbs rebuilt.  It's been about 6
>years, so they're probably due anyway.  I had considered using Apple
>Hydraulics, but they seem to be more of a mass rebuilder.  What I'm looking
>for is a smaller operation where they might be able to carefully dismantle
>the carbs and tell me what went wrong, then rebuild them to a high
>standard.  I'd like to know what went wrong before putting everything back
>together, as I hate unsolved problems.  I remember hearing about a one man
>carb rebuilding operation on this list a few months ago.  Any details on
>him or any other suitable carb rebuilders would be must appreciated.
>       Also, I am in need of an intake manifold.  I have an early 6 with the
>earliest style intake manifold (part no. 308088).  This manifold has very
>short runners which make sharp turns just after the cylinder head to intake
>mating surface.  This makes for poorish breathing I suppose, but more
>importantly it means that the number 2 intake runner on my car makes
>contact with my new header and doesn't allow the intake to seat properly.
>There is a later intake manifold (part no. 311378) which fits on the early
>head, but I believe it has longer runners that come straight out from the
>head for more distance before turning inwards towards the carbs.   This
>manifold seems to be a bit rare, as it was only fitted to engine number
>CC5000-CC75000, which is probably mid 1971 to 1972 model year cars.
>Howver, if anyone has such an intake, please email me.  Thanks so much.
>
>Tim Holbrook
>1971 TR6

Peter Macholdt                    HealthAnswers/ FCG Intl
Vice President                    Suite 503
(215) 321-2360                    301 Oxford Valley Road
(603) 925-3050 FAX                Yardley, PA 19067