BRAKE BOOSTER

To: triumphs-owner@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net, tr6taylor@webtv.net
Subject: BRAKE BOOSTER
From: MS6453@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:58:09 EST
Hi all,
I'm having some trouble identifying a braking problem on my 72-1/2 TR6. I can
not lock up the front brakes and the force needed to stop quickly feels
excessive. I can't determine if the brake booster is bad, proportioning
valve, or the front seals on the master are bad. When I start the car the
brake pedal drops about 3/4" of an inch as it should with a booster. The
pedal is hard and has normal travel. If I pump the pedal the idle climbs and
the vacuum is at 14lb per square inch. I have bled the brakes. The calipers
are rebuilt and the brake lines are new. Under really hard pedal pressure I
have been able to lock up the rear tires but not the front, since the front
do about 75% of the braking there's something wrong. Could a booster be
partially bad. I disconnected the vacuum line to the booster for a test
drive, the pedal was a little harder but the lack of breaking force was the
same. I lean toward the booster but is it possible that only the front seals
on the master could be bad??

Thanks, Mitch