Re: Starting Problem

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starting Problem
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 07:05:49 +1200
Hi Gabriel,

I had a similar problem with mine. I pulled out the starter and pulled the
solenoid to bits. The problem was "the slidy bit" was dirty and dry. I
simply greased and put back together. I used standard automotive grease.

Pulling the starter to bits is pretty easy, and with it already out, the
job should take around 15 mins.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers
Bernard Robbins

At 00:46 17/04/00 -0700, Gabriel Ige wrote:

> What is wrong with my  TR6? Occasionally when I try to start my car,
>nothing happens. If I turn the ignition switch on and off a few times,
>sometime it kicks in and starts the car. Most of the time I have to open and
>hood and it will almost always start. At first, I thought it was the battery
>cable, I disconnected, cleaned them and reinstalled them. But I still get
>this problem.
>
>Within the same arena of my starting problem, my starter motors spins
>without picking up the flywheel every now and then. Without doing anything
>other than just keep trying, it will eventually pick the flywheel in about
>third or second try when it does it. I changed my starter motor hoping this
>will take care of the problem. No! It did not take care of the problem.
>However, it reduced it drastically. Since I changed my starter a couple of
>days ago, it has only done it twice.  Both of the times, it picked up on the
>second try.
>

>HELP!!!!!!
>Gabriel
>71 TR6