A really scary thing

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: A really scary thing
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 08:13:57 +1300
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Last night on the way home from work, I had a small experience with the RHS
rear axle breaking on my TR6. It was a potentially a very serious and
dangerous problem so I thought I would let you know about it. I shudder to
think what might have happened once I got up to open road speed!!

The symptoms:
I got to the top of the first hill on the motorway and felt a funny
sideways twinge in the car. Hmmm, better pull over and check the wheel
nuts. Nope, they were OK. So back into the car and 100 metres up the road,
and the back end of car is steering itself!

Anyway, I managed to get off the motorway safely and pulled into a local
fastfood outlet carpark. After inventing a few expletives, investigation
revealed the axle shaft had sheared just behind the big nut which holds the
flange on. The flange and associated bearings were just being held in by
fresh air! Looking at it, it seems there is a manufacturing flaw in it.
Anyway, I managed to get it all sorted in 2 hours (the TR6 wheel bearing
units are the same as the saloons so I have a couple of spare axles which
slot right in).

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has broken or shorn an axle
off in their TR6.

Cheers

Bernard Robbins
'73 TR6 PI (heart still beating fast!)