Spark plugs

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spark plugs
From: Rick Patton <rpatton@clinic.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 01:57:37 -0500
Dave, the NGK BPR6ES is similar to the original Champions and are gapped the
same. In general, even in the same heat ranges, NGK's seem to foul less than
the American plugs like Champion, Autolite, and AC. Maybe they are just a
tad hotter? Anyway NGK numbering runs backward from American manufactures so
a lower number is a hotter plug, ie BPR5ES is hotter than BPR6ES. The "P"
means projected tip and the "R" means resistor. I can't remember the other
codes but can can find out if anyone's interested (thread size, reach,
tapered seat or gasket, etc).

Late last Fall I upped the compression on my car to 9.5, converted to Crane
electronic ignition, and installed Crane's high energy coil (looks like a GM
HEI coil). I plan to run NGK BR6ES-11 plugs to begin the season. The -11
means that it is a wide gap plug, pregapped at .044". I'm not sure this will
be the best for the car but I think it will be a pretty good starting point.
The much hotter coil can easily bridge the .044 and is commonly used at .060
in GM engines. I'm going to experiment with this a bit but won't have any
answers until mid summer.

Rick Patton
75 TR6 Delft blue