Re: flywheel weight and how much to remove

To: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Subject: Re: flywheel weight and how much to remove
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:38:29 -0800
Hi Dick,
Thanks for the info.  As regards my goals, this engine is for my daily
driver/beater.
I'm not racing, autocrossing, or trying to humiliate a minivan off the line
at a traffic light.
However, I like the idea of investing a little machine shop time to get
more horsepower to the wheels.

BTW, there's a significant difference in the shape of the early (68-69) vs.
late (70-76) flywheels.  The early flywheel fits the crank with the long
extension, so the outer ring and the crank attachment are all in one
plane.  The late crank is shorter and the flywheel therefore has the crank
attachment in a different plane than the outer ring.  After seeing the two
flywheels, I can see why the stock weight of the early wheel (~21 lbs) is
significantly less than the later one (~26 lbs).   It also seems that the
early flywheel could be lightened more (since the forces are all in one
plane), but I do want to be on the safe side.  Kastner says approximately 4
pounds, and I presume this is for the early wheel since the Comp. Prep.
Manual was published in 1968.  I think I'll have the shop go down to 18
pounds, which would remove about 3 pounds.

Regards,
Cregg