Re: ignition

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ignition
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:44:37 -0800 (PST)
You won't lose your tach by installing an electronic ignition like a
Petronix or Crane Cams setup.  These simply replace the mechanical
points, they don't replace the whole distributor.  The tach runs of a
gear in the distributor.  The only way you'd loose your tach is if you
were going to a crank fired coil pack type ignition.  The TRF green
ignition wires are fine, I've had the same set on my car for 6 years
and over 50,000 miles.  You really don't need to change any other
components if they are relatively new and in good shape.  A high
voltage coil (40,00 volts) might help a bit.  A new cap and rotor might
be in order if your are a bit old. You could also put in a set of
platinum plugs so you won't have to worry about them for many miles to
come (100,000 miles, in theory).

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6