Re: '71 reflectors

To: mjmullin@juno.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '71 reflectors
From: TRIPHSTEVE@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:09:31 EST
Listers-

I have CC 59173, built in November, 1970 and titled as a 71 TR6. It had the
original reflectors on it when I bought the car and when I restored it with a
Heritage bodyshell, I installed NOS reflectors again. I consider them one of
the rare finds that make the car unique.

In Rossi and Clarke's book, The Triumph TR5/250 and TR6 Companion,  Rossi
writes at page 54:

                ...A squabble with the government over
                rear lamp area resulted in the appearance
                of small supplemental reflectors on the tail
                beneath the tail lamp assemblies for the
                1971 model year only.

In Piggott's book, Original Triumph TR, he recounts that the first car of the
year was CC60903 built on 1/1/71. The last "71" car built was CC67893, built
on August 20, 1971.  Therefore, we know the reflectors predated the 1971
calender built cars. Just how long before January of 1971 they were installed
perhaps is still a mystery.

Does anyone have reflectors after CC67893?

Steve Thornton
Bowling Green, KY

In a message dated 1/5/2001 5:41:51 AM Central Standard Time,