RE: Carbs and more Long!

To: "6 Pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Carbs and more Long!
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:43:48 -0700

Yes. I believe the thread is the same as a -5AN plug (yep, that's -5AN).
Can't recall what the thread spec is but I bet if you go to the aeroquip
site (I assume aeroquip.com), you should be able to get the spec from there.

> B: Can I also remove the EGR valve? If so is it just a
> simply plug at the block and the Intake manifold?

Yes. The thread on the head is 3/4"-UNF. I was able to get an allen screw
for this so I don't have a big ole ugly bolt head sticking out there. (Just
check out the size of the bolt head on a 3/4"-UNF bolt and you'll see what I
mean). Look up fastener shops in the yellow pages for a source. The manifold
(on my 76 anyway) was a standard NPT thread. I got an allen head version of
that as well to keep the appearance reasonably clean.

On the non-NPT plugs (the 6 air rail intake plugs and the EGR head plug) I
used a small amount of exhaust sealer to help form the seal. Probably a belt
and suspenders move but hey, just in case. Since the plugs I used were allen
head set screws, there was no option to use a sealing washer. I've had no
problems as a result of this.

>     What do I do with the small vacuum line that runs from
> the rear carb. to the EGR valve. Should I anticipate problems
> with this plan?

Plug it -- you should be able to get suitable plugs from just abut anywhere.
If you are in North America, try Home Depot in the loose fasteners section.
That's where I got mine. I can't recall which fitting this is on the rear
carb. If it's the one at the top, you can remove the brass fitting
altogether and use a small NPT plug (the thread of this is NPT). Otherwise,
an auto supply shop should have rubber vacuum plugs to fit over the brass
nipple. If it's another fitting on the rear carb, I can't recall what I
used, probably a rubber vacuum plug. I've had no problems with mine all
removed.

Look at

<http://www.gumbi.com/peterz/tr6/carbs/tr6_cold_air_intake.html>
<http://www.gumbi.com/peterz/tr6/page/engine_passenger_side.jpg>
<http://www.gumbi.com/peterz/tr6/page/engine_driver_side.jpg>

for pictures of these plugs installed.

> C: Where can I purchase a "Posidrive" Screwdriver for
> the ZS carbs?

Any decent fastener shop should have pozi bits. I find the #2 is most common
on the TR6. Others less common are #1 & #3. The only place I have found need
for a #4 are the screws which hold the "Triumph" badge on the bottom of the
rear bumper on the later cars.

HTH.

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO