Re: Exhaust Manifold

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>,
Subject: Re: Exhaust Manifold
From: Bob Greene <rgreene@whoi.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 15:22:45 -0500
Thanks Bob & Co.!
        I also have the Moss H/Duty gasket. I only asked the list about
planing, as I only want to do this once.
        You know how it goes, I need to rebuild my carbs., while the carbs are
out, I'll replace my choke cables & clean up my manifolds, while the
exhaust is dropped, I'll do my universal joints,  while my drive shaft
is out, I'll regrease it. Now I can get a good shot at my inner wheel
wells, I might as well paint those.
        Before you know it, I do not want to fix anything, as it is time to
drive it! As I saw on the list & laughed, "It is definitely time to "UP"
the medication"
        Bob, It's all your fault! See what your Carb rebuild tech session
started! :-)
        Thanks to all, The list is the "Balls" If there is a clothing list out
there? DO NOT!!! Tell my wife!!!
        Bob Greene

"Robert M. Lang" wrote:

> Hi Bob.
>
> Regarding your exhaust manifold - it is okay to skim it, but don't take
> too much off. The problem is that if you take too much material off the
> exhaust manifold, you may have port matching issues.
>
> I have been using the Moss "heavy duty" manifold gasket with
> great success. In fact, I had one manifold on my red car that I thought
> was no good - I cleaned the mating surface and installed with a HD gasket
> - no leaks. I got 20K miles before I put the header on.
>
> Now, about the intakes - don't bother planing them unless the surfaces are
> marred. In most cases, the mating surface will be fine. The reason that
> exhaust manifolds need to be resurfaced is that the hot exhaust gasses
> tend to erode the metal if the manifold gets loose enough for exhaust to
> get around the gasket. I've seen cases where the head gets eroded too.
>
> But intakes should never erode.
>
> Regarding paint - I used a low-temp silver argent color for the intake
> manifold and then used a "high temp" silver for the exhaust. If done
> right, the exhaust lasts for a year or two. If not, it flakes off as soon
> as you heat-cycle everything.
>
> If you have the buck$ - send the manifold to Jet Hot or one of the
> ceramics coaters. This will give you the benefit of lower under-hood
> (whoops BONNET) temperatures and it'll look great for a long time.
>
> It's worth the $150 or so that it'll cost, but get your machining done
> FIRST.
>
> Some folks use the "cast iron" color for the exhaust manifold - that way
> when the paint flakes off, you can't tell (owing to the paint color
> matching the actual color of rust so well.)
>
> ;-)
>
> C ya,
> rml
> Bob Lang              Room N42-140Q            |  This space for rent
> Consultant            MIT unix-vms-help        |
> Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
rgreene.vcf]