re; j type overdrive

To: TR6me@cs.com
Subject: re; j type overdrive
From: pbrzozoski@netscape.net
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:10:21 -0500
>Has anyone installed a J type overdrive in a 72 tr6.  Are there any pitfalls
>or compatibility problems to be aware of.

Mark,
Two frame types were used in the TR6 with the changeover taking place between
the 72 and 73 model years.  The J type overdrive was meant for use in the later
frames and an "A" type OD was used in the earlier frames.
The location of the rear mount is different between the frames.

I recently went though this very exercise and was only able to mount a J type
on an earlier frame by some custom metal work.  I could not locate any source
of an "off the shelf" bracket conversion kit.
I'm sure you could also make this work by moving the frame mount as needed. (If
you are up for cutting and welding on the frame.)

Regards,
Phil
Pepperell, Ma
Two TR6s