TRF and distributor question

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TRF and distributor question
From: "Richard B. Porter" <rporter@in-motion.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:34:22 -0600
My engine is at TRF now for its rebuild. Nice people and I thought reasonable
price. I got my head parts from Revington and had the head done locally. Only
problem is the prior rebuild put a rocker spacer in the wrong location and
used a homemade spacer between one of the valves and its spring. Rebuild man
was very amused.
     Question is about my distributor. My car is a 76 with vacuum retard. The
sliding plates which are I think moved by springs / mechanical advance do not
move very much. they are very stiff and stay where moved. I thought the idea
was for them to move with the increased rotation and by spring action return
to the original location at idle. New part for the sliding plates are not in
the catalogs. Is there an alternate distributor aftermarket I should look for
or just buy a new Lucas, assuming there is something wrong with mine in the
failure of the plates to slide.
Dick Porter
Lebanon, IN