TR6 cross shaft and throw out bearings

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 cross shaft and throw out bearings
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 12:40:03 -0500
Hello All,

Sorry for the length of this email but I just wanted to drop a note about
my experiences with the TR6 clutch cross shaft dilemma.  I hope it might
help someone save some time and a couple of bucks as well.

I took four transmissions from the loft looking for a usable cross shaft.
 One had the shaft welded to the fork and a broken taper pin installed.
3 had broken taper pins.  I cut the shaft on the first one based on the
advice of many listers.  Replaced it with the greasable TRF version
($38.00 including bushings) and installed what was left of the broken
taper pin for correct alignment.  I then cross drilled the shaft and fork
and bolted with a grade eight 1/4-20 bolt and nyloc nut.  Looks good and
will work fine.

With the other two transmissions I decided to drill out an access hole in
the fork across from the taper pin.  First move the shaft out of the
right side of the bushing area and get a firm comfortable position.
Start with a punch, then an 1/8" drill and finish with a 3/16".  With the
right side of the shaft out of the bushing area, solidly position the
shaft so you can insert a pin punch and drive the old taper pin out.
Then do the cross drill thing as described above.  While you're in there
you might want to drill the shaft lengthwise and across to allow grease
to the bushings.  The TRF version is also grooved to allow grease to flow
around the circumference of the shaft onto the bushings.  The bushings
supplied by TRF are about 1 1/4" long and appear to be bronze.

I also have a question about the throw out bearings.  I have two styles.
One is flat where it contacts the pressure plate fingers and has a sealed
type bearing.  The other is conical shaped where it meets the pressure
plate and has a more open type bearing.  Would the flat style be from a
Land Cruiser?

Thanks for all of the valuable info to date and good luck with your cross
shafts.

Jay Welch
Abington, MA
1971 TR6 project and 1973 TR6 driver that is threatening to be a project
Member "Cape Cod British Car Club"
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/