Re: Layshaft for A-type Overdrive

To: "vze2846b" <vze2846b@verizon.net>, "6pack list"
Subject: Re: Layshaft for A-type Overdrive
From: "Nelson A. Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 21:55:46 -0400
> I am having my A-type OD rebuilt by British Auto in New York.  I trust
> this guy will do it right.
>
> Anyway, he just called and gave me some bad news/ good news/ bad news.
> The layshaft in my OD has been destroyed by a broken thrust washer.  The
> good news is that he has a spare layshaft in very good shape (I know that
> these are hard to get).  The final bad news is that the shaft will be
> expensive.  He couldn't tell me how much (I caught him unprepared) , but
> I can tell from the way he spoke that it will not be cheap.
>
> My question is what is this shaft worth?
>
> Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter Macholdt
> '68 TR250 (missing the road)
Peter,

I've torn apart a few A type ODs and non of them had anything called a
layshaft.  Just checked the parts book and they don't list a layshaft
either.   The rotation is along a single axis except for the planet gear
assembly so I can't see anything that would likely be called a layshaft.
One of the parts of the main shafts along this axis may also be called a
layshaft by some but I've not seen it anyplace.

The gearbox countershaft is also called the layshaft.  This shaft is
frequently damaged by bearing or thrust washer failure.  New ones cost $30
to $40 from Moss or TRF.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (assembling after new paint)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)