questions about Wheels

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: questions about Wheels
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@telocity.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:53:23 -0700
Been looking about for a set of Minilite-like wheels for my TR6. I read
Shane Ingram's text on the VTR website about using 15x7 wheels.  After
checking about, looks like Paul Spruell has the lowest price by about
$25.00.  However the parts guy at Spruell says that the Panasport literature
makes no mention of a 15x7 that fits a TR6, only 15x6 or 16x7.  He says that
he can probably get what I need, but he needs the following info:

1. Center bore of wheel
2. Desired offset/backspacing

So here's the first question:  When I ran Shane's data by him (3.9" BS and
0mm Offset), he said that didn't sound right, as 0mm offset generally would
result in 3.5" backspacing.  Shane's text made no mention about center hole
size so I didn't have that figure for him.  Does anybody know the correct
figures?

Also Spruell was going to drop ship until they found out I live in
California.  Since the importer and I are both in California, apparently the
CA tax nazis have decided that Panasport would have to charge me sales tax
(which isn't really a problem if I have to).  However, Panasport does not
want to get into the business of charging end users for sales tax, so they
would have to ship the wheels from CA to Spruell in Georgia, then Spruell
would ship them back to me (in CA) at a shipping cost of $150 (rather $$$$).
Second question, how did listers who live in CA get around this when
ordering Panasports?

Last question.  I was considering instead ordering some Compomotive ML
wheels (look like minilites) from England (since the US importer chooses to
price them way above the price of comparable Panasports).  The price from
England, including freight, works out to about 180 per wheel.  My concern is
possible duty charges.  Have any listers any experience ordering such items
from England and what were the duty charges?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6