lower trunion bolts

To: "6 pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: lower trunion bolts
From: "Walt Philipson" <wphilipson@bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 18:03:07 -0400
dear list

I'm replacing the suspension bushings in my '74 tr6. I can't get the bolt
that attaches the trunion to the lower A-arms on the left side out. I have
removed the nut, but I can't get the bolt out. I've tried leaning on it with
a breaker bar and all I can get is a little squeak and very little movement.
Any tricks to removing it? Does this mean that the trunion is bad?

The plate that the sway bar attaches to in the front is also loose. Are
there only 4 bolts holding this on? One on each side that also attaches the
bumper bracket to the frame? It seems that the PO got a little close to a
curb or something because the right side sway bar bracket is deformed, the
one bolt attaching the above mentioned plate to the frame is missing, and
the right side bumper-to-body bolt is missing and the holes are
miss-aligned. Does this mean that the bumper or fender is bent, or do I need
to play with some shims to get things aligned? funny how this stuff appears
when you spend the day with your face 6 inches from the car :)

Anybody in the Raleigh, NC area so I can compare and make sure mine is
together correctly?

tia

Walt Philipson
wphilipson@bigfoot.com