Re: Revised leakdown tests

To: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Revised leakdown tests
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:07:37 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Peter Macholdt wrote:

Whoops. Apologies for the mis-sent "reply".

> This evening I broke down and borrowed a real leak-down tester (my first
> tests were with an Eastwood unit).  The professional leak-down tester showed
> a reading of 20% leak-down across all 6 cylinders.  This is well within the
> range of normal (0-40% is considered low leak-down). (Bob- why do you think
> 7% leak-down on your race car is anything other than great?)

Folks that run Total Seal rings get more like 2% leak-down.

If you're going for power, you want _everything_ working in your favor.

> So, I still have a leaking fuel pump, but I doubt it is because of excess
> crankcase pressure.

Well, if you have a lot of blowby, try making a larger "vent". The Comp.
Prep. Manual indicates _two_ 1/2" ID vent hoses. For you AN types, that's
AN10.

> Lesson learned (again)- cheap tools create more problems than they solve.
> Tomorrow I call Eastwood to complain about the cheap gauge.

very good, Grasshopper. You have snatched the pebble.

:-)

> Peter Macholdt
> '68 TR250

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |