Re: Removal of radiator and heater hoses

To: <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Removal of radiator and heater hoses
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 00:02:08 -0600
Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net> wrote...
Subject: Removal of radiator and heater hoses
<snip>
> I've noticed that after a season of
> driving, it is pretty tough to get the hoses off.  They stick to the
nipples
> and require a lot of persuasion to remove.  Occasionally, a hose gets
> destroyed in the process.
<snip>
> I was thinking that I might try to coat the nipples with a light layer of
> anti-seize compound before reassembly.

How about a touch of silicone grease or even silicone spray?  Harmless to
rubber, and as long as you don't use much, there's not much danger of
contaminating the cooling system.

A very light smear of silicone grease on the inside of the hoses should
prevent any significant adhesion.  The seal is made primarily by the rubber
conforming to the radiator connector under the pressure of the clamp.  And the
hose stays on because of the raised ring on the radiator connector.
Therefore, sticking and corroding into place is not at all necessary, and in
fact corrosion may cause a leak.

Anti-sieze is probably fine as well, but silicone is best for rubber, and
silicone naturally prevents adhesion and bonding.

Silicone grease is great stuff to keep around anyway - try the grease on
electrical connections, plug boots, etc.  Prevents corrosion, keeps plug boots
from welding onto the plug insulator, and adds a bit of waterproofing as well.
I've used it all over every one of my cars' electrical systems for many
years.

NAPA is a good source for a decent-sized tube of dielectric silicone grease;
at about the same price you only get a tiny tube on a blister card at Pep
Boys, etc.

Karl Vacek
'66 TR4A
'68 TR250