Re: TRF

To: "Mackay, Steve" <steve.mackay@analog.com>
Subject: Re: TRF
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:10:55 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

It's not just you, but it's always good to keep things in perspective.
We've all probably called _any_ of the vendors at one time or another and
they didn't have the part(s) we need right then in stock.

I just want to point out two things:

1. the disclaimer at the beginning of the TRF WInter Parts Sale (Part 1)
2002 indicates that most of the specials listed in that catalog are more
or less closeouts... once they're gone, they're gone.

2. If you are like me, you didn't get the publication dated 22-Jan-2002
until this weekend past - close to two weeks after the start date of the
sale. This has the effect of giving others that live closer to TRF (in the
US postal sense) an advantage. THis is especially true on certain items
that have a low unit count on the shelf.

WHile you are certainly free to express yourself with regard to your
dissapointment, I urge you to reconsider.

Many is the time that I call for parts and they are not in stock - BUT -
the sales folks tell me that they are expecting the parts in three weeks
or whatever, I back order the parts and many times they arrive at my house
before the suspected shipment date.

TRF having items out of stock is hardly comparable to Enron (in financial
terms), even though I'm sure that TRF wouldn't mind having a fraction of
the cashflow that Enron would have had prior to the whole bankruptcy
thing.

Issuing my now annual response to this situation: please recall that even
when TR6's were new that backorders were the norm and not the exception.
I'm not kidding when I say that parts availability is actually way better
now than it was then. The reality is that we have to plan for some repairs
on our cars and if things don't pan out (parts wise), there are still
several vendors that can fill in the gaps and if even that does not work,
it's very likely that with a little ingenuity we can get our cars at least
to a drivable state.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |