Re: Tube shock conversion and hub rebuilders

To: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Subject: Re: Tube shock conversion and hub rebuilders
From: "Alan & Debbie Lindner" <theedge@cts.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:44:59 -0800
A mechanic that I use in San Diego has given me one note of
caution concerning the shock conversion kit.  He says that original
shocks movement is not straight up and down but more with a
slight arc.  By changing to the tube shocks, new forces coming from
the side will be placed on the shock piston.
Has anyone else looked into this?

> Kevin---Before you go to the expense of rebuilding the rear hub(s), try
> switching the clicking wheel in question with one from the front.
> It's my experience that wh U-joints go bad they start off by making
> their sounds only when flexed, like with a load in the trunk, or loaded
> from a weight shift. Later on they will vibrate enough to make it
> obvious.
>
> One would think that a tube shock kit that uses the same mounting points
> as the stock lever shocks wouldn't cause additional stress. I'm waiting
> for Mitch to tell me he likes his, then I'll do mine!
>
> Dick T.

Alan & Debbie Lindner
theedge@cts.com