Re: seatbelts

To: "Brad ." <brad1184@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: seatbelts
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:36:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Brad . wrote:

> Hi

Hi.

> I've been looking for some 4 point seatbelts.....there is some for sale at
> vicky brit and rimmer bros. But is there anywhere else i could go that would
> have the 4 point seat belts that would fit on a TR6.....anyone have any
> other suggestions?

I would not put 4-point seatbelts in an open top car.

Period.

If you are dead-set on the idea (no pun intended), then you should look
into DOT approved items. One such item is manufactured by Schroth, they
can be purchased from many aftermarket retailers like HMS Motorsports and
the like. The reason I would lean towards this type of product is that if
you are involved in a serious collision with a 4 point system and you are
injured, there's a good chance that medical claims could be denied due to
non-approved equipment.

The British cars guys (like Moss and TRF) do sell adequate replacement
three-point setups, I put a set of these in my street car last year and am
happy to report that they work really well - much better than the stock
belts (3-point on my 74) ever were. Def. worth every penny of the $200 or
so that I dished out for them.

> thanx
>    Brad
> 1971 TR6

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |