Re: Clutch cross shaft (long)

To: jay_welch@juno.com
Subject: Re: Clutch cross shaft (long)
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:21:34 -0700 (PDT)
Jay---When you wrote that the fork pin hole is "mis-drilled" I wasn't
sure if it was simply not drilled deep enough to allow the tapered bolt
to go thru the shaft (to pick up the continued bore in the fork) or? It
seemed that there were two different responses.

If the (tapered) bore for the tapered pin was not drilled parallel to
the clutch shaft arm, I can see where, if off enough in one direction,
the SC piston could 'fall out' of its bore while trying to disengage the
clutch. IF this is the case, I will say that you could do one of two
things to make it right, altho it is against my personal policy to
'adjust' for  the mistakes of our vendors. Making an adjustable pushrod
is the long way around this. Spacing the SC towards the rear of the car
is much simpler, and can be done with nothing more than a few washers to
make up the shortfall of the mis-drilled shaft.

Changing the location of the SC in this manner IS NOT the answer if the
clutch won't disengage because of other problems, such as pedal box
play, or a bent or broken fork pin. These have all been listed in
several good tech bulletins.
(I know that you already know all or most of this.)

You will still get only a fixed amount of pushrod movement when either
making this rod longer, or moving the SC. I am presuming that the
mis-drilled shaft has left the clutch cross shaft arm in a clock
position of something like 11:25.  If it is off much more than that
there's little that can be done, short of replacing the shaft with one
that looks like this:

Open end of clutch shaft to CL of taper pin bore--- 5.500"
Arm end to CL of pin bore--- 7.375"

Pin bore in the shaft must be on the same vertical as the clutch arm.

As an aside, the bore thru the fork that contains the fork pin is
drilled at a 7 degree angle.
The fork pin should be screwed far enough into the fork so that the
'small' end picks up the bore on the other side, after going thru the
shaft. This will add pin strength. Failure of the pin not going deep
enough will add stress to this already marginal part.    Tick Tock?

Dick T.