Removing broken pipe thread

To: 6pack@autox.team.net;, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Removing broken pipe thread
From: Charles Shaw <charlie.shaw@acsalaska.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:32:43 -0800
Listers,
Just when things are going well and we finally have streets with asphalt
something goes wrong. Just as a short explanation, here in the frozen
north, Alaska, many people use an electric recirculating heater to keep
both the fluid mixture and the engine block above freezing in the winter.
The PO had installed such a pump on my vehicle and I have replaced all
hoses and removed this device. Heated garage works better and not driving
it from November to May also helps.This heater used standard heater hose to
"Y" from the front manifold hose to the heater and then to the coolant
drain hole on the right side of the engine above the starter. This is my
problem. The fitting screwed into this hole was like a pipe nipple. When I
placed a socket on the hex portion the threaded pipe section broke off even
with the block. Has anyone tried to remove anything like this before and if
so how. I am considering one of the extraction tools for broken studs but
this is an open pipe about 3/8" ID (opening) and 1/2" threaded OD. I am
open to any suggestions before I try the drill and tap method. I also have
a dreadful feeling I am going to have to remove the intake and exhaust
manifolds to get at this problem.

Just for a reference in the Bently book pg. 242 section 26.10.01 shows
where the problem is. Also does anyone know the size and thread pitch on
the plug that should be in this hole.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Charles Shaw
75 TR6
CF39093UO (snow and ice gone by May 1, hoping to be out on the road)