Re: Sorry for the "Hi" email, but...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sorry for the "Hi" email, but...
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:28:44 EDT
In a message dated 4/22/2002 12:20:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Peter
Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net> wrote:

> I just realized that an email was sent to the entire 6-PACK list using my
> email address.  It was the one that said "Hi, how are you?".
>
> Trouble is, I didn't send it and it didn't originate on my machine.  I
> don't
> know how it happened and I am not happy about it.  Probably some moron with
> nothing better to do than play games.

Peter,

Someone recently sent out an e-mail from my address with the subject line
"check out my new girlfriend." In the message was a link to a porno site. As
in your case, the email didn't originate on my machine, because it was sent
to people whose addresses are not in my address book.

I looked into this, and it turns out to be extremely easy to do, easy enough
that even a moron can do it.

If anyone receives an inappropriate message from a list member, don't get
angry, because it probably was not from whom it appears to be.

Regards,

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm